Advocates for Urban Agriculture & NeighborSpace, in partnership with the Chicago Food Equity Council, are again providing city hydrant access support to Chicagoland urban growers for the 2022 growing season. Please read through the form linked above carefully, as there is much information provided here, and not every garden is eligible. Please watch this video if you would like to get very detailed information about how to apply for city hydrant use. After you have watched the video, fill out this form here for support.
1. FILL OUT THE FORM FOR BOTH NEW AND RENEWED SUPPORT. SUPPORT OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
***RPZ Units (required for permit)
***CERTIFICATION OF RPZ UNITS (required for permit)
***INSURANCE FOR HYDRANT (required for permit)
***SQUARE FOOTAGE FEE FOR WATER (required for permit)
2. IF YOU RECEIVED AN RPZ UNIT LAST YEAR, IT STILL NEEDS TO BE CERTIFIED YEARLY; PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO RESERVE YOUR SPOT AT THE 4.2.2022 BULK TESTING EVENT AT THE CENTER FOR GREEN TECHNOLOGY. (If you are planning on benefitting from this certification day, please fill form by March 20th.)
3. As a reminder, if your farm/garden is planning on using city hydrant water access, you will need to apply for a permit each year. You can start the application now, even if you don’t have a rpz serial number or certification, that can be added at a later date. Either way, get your application as soon possible at this URL. http://hup.buildinganewchicago.org/#/home
4. As a reminder, watch video above, it will answer many tricky questions.
5. To help navigate the application process, and you still have questions after watching the video, Chicago Hydrant Access virtual office hours are held on Monday mornings 10am-noon, and Thursday evenings, from 5pm-7pm, starting March 7. Please sign up for these hours here: https://calendly.com/d/cmz-4hc-325/hydrant-access-office-hours
This support is possible through the outstanding support of Margot Pritzker and Francia Harrington, co-founders of the Community Food Navigator, a platform currently in formation.
Water Access Application:
Please sign up for virtual office hour help here: https://calendly.com/d/cmz-4hc-325/hydrant-access-office-hours
Current City of Chicago Hydrant Use Permit Application
Rain Barrel Maintenance & FAQ — Coming Soon
For technical support, please contact:
Please include details on issues navigating the 2022 hydrant application in the subject line of these emails to better assist.