The NeighborSpace tool lending library offers a limited range of gardening and carpentry tools for special events, construction projects, and volunteer workdays in NeighborSpace-protected sites only.
Before completing the Tool Lending Request Form at the bottom of this page, please review NeighborSpace’s tool-lending policies.
Tool Lending Policy
- Please identify one member of the community garden leadership team to be the primary contact responsible for communications, pick up and drop off. This person must be at least 18 years or older with reliable transportation.
- Before making your reservation, be sure you have a modest understanding of the tools needed to complete your project.
- To reserve your tools, please complete the NeighborSpace Tool Lending Request Form (at the bottom of this page) at least two weeks prior to the date needed. A staff member will follow up with you to review the details of your request.
- Tool lending is on a first come, first served basis. We can’t guarantee that tools will be available for your event, but we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
- Tools will be officially reserved upon the receipt of your confirmation email that details the terms of your reservation including the NeighborSpace Tool Lending Policy and your Tool Checkout List.
Tool Checkout and Return
- Please make arrangements to pick up tools one or two days before your project.
- Plan to pick up and return your tools during business hours at the Chicago Center for Green Technology, 445 N Sacramento.
- During the checkout process, staff will provide you with a copy of your Tool Checkout List. Please retain your Checkout List as a way to track the borrowed items and make sure all are returned.
- Tools are due no later than two business days after your project unless other arrangements have been confirmed with a staff member.
Late or Lost Items
Please do your best to adhere to agreed upon borrowing time-frame. If you unable to return the borrowed items within the specified time frame, please inform staff immediately. Though you will have the chance to recoup your borrowing privileges by making a tool donation to the lending library, borrowing privileges will unfortunately be suspended if the following circumstances occur:
- Items returned late without notice to staff.
- Items returned damaged or destroyed.
- Items lost or misplaced.
Other ways to get cheap or free tools for your project
- Chicago Community ToolBank
- Craigslist. Search for tools under “free stuff” or other relevant topics under “for sale.”
- Home Depot Tool Rental
- Wirtz Rentals 1045. W 47th
- Clark and Devon Hardware, 6401 N Clark