Contact Information: Martha at E2L@
Address: 7029 S Princeton Avenue
Neighborhood/Community Area: Greater Grand Crossing
Garden Established: 2013
Protected by NeighborSpace: 2016
Website: Everything Good.org
Facebook: Eat to Live
Community Partners: Angelic Organics Learning Center, Real Men Charities, Black Oaks Center for Sustainable Renewable Living
About the Garden: (from Everything Good.org)
Eat to Live (E2L) is a project to build a healthier local food system and economy near 70th Place and South Princeton Avenue, at the intersection of Greater Grand Crossing & Englewood. Eat to Live is led by Angelic Organics Learning Center, in collaboration with partners in the immediate neighborhood and beyond. Evolving out of efforts to improve food access, environmental health, and economic vitality, E2L appreciates support from the 6th ward Alderman’s office and the City of Chicago’s Department of Planning and Development.
E2L’s “menu” for a healthy local food system and economy features:
Spaces to GROW FOOD:
– Two LEARNING GARDENS where community members can volunteer to learn and grow, and share the harvest. The Gardens donate produce to nearby seniors and a shelter for homeless women and children.
– Our INCUBATOR FARM where new urban farmers can launch their businesses, with up to 7000 SF of growing space and a season-extending hoophouse.
– More food gardens and habitat for pollinators and beneficial insects on land at nearby schools and organizations.
PROGRAMS ~ to get, grow, and eat healthy food, and improve households’ health and wealth:
– GardenTime sessions to Learn & Grow in the Gardens from late April into October.
– Gardening, cooking, and urban ecology workshops with seniors, students, and other neighbors.
– Community special events and tours.