What is NeighborSpace?
NeighborSpace is the only nonprofit urban land trust in Chicago that preserves and sustains gardens on behalf of dedicated community groups. We shoulder the responsibilities of property ownership — such as providing basic insurance, access to water, and links to support networks – so that community groups can focus on gardening. NeighborSpace-protected gardens give young and old alike an opportunity to get their hands in the earth and enjoy nature, right in their own neighborhoods.
We understand that gardeners invest an enormous amount of time, funds, sweat and heart into these sites, and that these are the very ingredients that make community gardens beautiful and unique. The NeighborSpace land trust works to protect local sites by:
- Providing permanent protection against potential development
- Establishing local partnerships that ensure community management and control
- Covering basic liability insurance for gardeners and volunteers
- Developing resources and opportunities through the Stewardship Mini Grant Program
- Providing stewardship support, and technical assistance